You know what I love about science? That despite religions disdain for us and their dismissal of evidence, science always gives religion the benefit of the doubt, and no matter what we think of their biblical stories – we still give it serious consideration and look for scientific proof of their mythologies.
I do find it amusing watching the theists dance around when new proof presents itself, jumping through hoops to try and get their stories to match up with the new recipe of instructions. We have recently heard the Pope declare that “Evolution and The Big Bang Theory are real and that ‘God’ is not a magician with a magic wand!” I wonder what Ken Ham thinks of the Vatican’s tactics in his 6,000 year Magical Mystery Museum?
So want to know what we will be discussing today peeps? Its a biggie! We will be looking into Moses, his plagues of Egypt and the Exodus of the Jews from those horrible Egyptian slave masters!………. or will we?
You see this brings on a whole list of presumptions:-
- That the Plagues of Egypt actually occurred
- That the Jews were slaves in Egypt
- That the Exodus happened
THE PLAGUES OF EGYPT
- EXODUS 7:19 – and the Lord spoke unto Moses, take thy rod, and stretch out thine hand upon the waters of Egypt, that they may become blood
- EXODUS 8:2 – and if thou refuse to let them go, behold I will smite all thy borders with frogs
- EXODUS 8:16 – stretch out they rod and smite the dust of the land, that it may become lice throughout the land
- EXODUS 8:21 – I will send swarms of flies upon thee, and upon thy servants and upon thy people and into thy house
- EXODUS 9:3 – Behold the hand of the Lord is upon thy cattle which is in the field. There shall be a very grievous murrain.
- EXODUS 9:9 – and it shall become small dust in the land of Egypt, and shall be boils breaking forth with blains upon man and beast
- EXODUS 9:18 – Behold, tomorrow about this time I will cause it to rain a very grievous hail, such as hath not been seen in Egypt
- EXODUS 10:4 – Else, if thou refuse to let my people go, behold, tomorrow will bring the locusts
- EXODUS 10:22 – and Moses stretched forth is hand toward the heavens and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt for three days
- EXODUS 11:5 – and all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the first born of the Pharaoh to the first born of the maid servant
What I can tell you is all the above phenomenon occur after a volcanic eruption. Now stop, I hear you cry, there are no volcanoes in Egypt! And you would be right. However, the volcanic eruption of Thera is an historical event.
It is believed to have started the legend of Atlantis and as you can see the Plagues of Egypt and the subsequent Exodus we hear so much about in the Old Testament.
THE ERUPTION OF THERA
- The eruption of Thera happened around 3,500 years ago
- 13 cubic miles of material exploded into the sky. Settlements on Santorini were buried under a thick layer of ash, thicker than the one that covered Pompeii. the force would have been the equivalent of several hundred atomic bombs.
- the main eruption began when the sea water entered a vent of the volcano and mixed with magma and gases, producing an ultra-violent explosion. The centre of Thera collapsed into the sea filled caldera. Santorini was buried in ash up to 900 feet deep.
- The explosion produced a huge tsunami, possibly 300 feet high. This tsunami swamped and hit the coast of Africa, sending water 200 miles up the Nile
- The Thera eruption was the largest for 10,000 years. 90 times greater than Mount St Helens and 4 times greater than Krakatoa, which killed 40,000 people in a matter of hours. Which produced tsunamis 40 feet high, spewed volcanic ash across Asia, caused a drop in global temperatures and created strangely coloured sunsets for almost 3 years. The blast was heard 3,000 miles away.
- Larger than Tambora which erupted in 1816 and produced a year without summer and famines in the US.
So was the story of the Plagues in Exodus merely a story of a natural disaster? Studies of ash deposits on the ocean floor reveal, that when the volcano did blow, it did so with such force we have never seen the like since.
Scientists have found pumice stone, made from cooled volcanic lava during excavations of Egyptian ruins, despite there not being any volcanoes in Egypt. Analysis of the rock proves it came from Santorini providing physical evidence that the ash fallout reached Egypt.
As the Bible is not accurate on date or place in Egypt, we can estimate on factors we do have:-
- Thanks to the eruption of Thera it proved us with a fixed point for aligning the entire chronology of the 2nd Millennium BCE. Current estimates re carbon dating agree the eruption occurred between 1630-1600 BCE.
- Tree ring data shows that a large even occurred to interfere with normal tree growth in the US in 1629-1628 BCE
- Growth depressions of European Oaks in Sweden date to 1628 BCE
- Samples of wood, bone and seeds collected from various locations in The Aegean were analysed in three separate laboratories to avoid error. Results were 1660-1613 BCE
Interestingly this would mean the Bible is out by a few hundred years and would also mean they had the name of the Pharaoh completely wrong. But I guess they aren’t big on real proof and facts right?
THE REAL PLAGUES OF EGYPT
Now we have cleared up the disaster that caused the plagues let us look at these in a little more detail:-
Rising temperatures turn the waters muddy and slow moving. Bacterium known as Burgundy Blood algae, or Oscillatoria Rubescens is known to have existed over 3,000 years ago and indeed still causes the same effect today. It multiplies rapidly in slow moving waters with high levels of nutrition. And as it dries, it turns the water red.
The arrival of this algae would set into motion the 2nd.3rd and 4th plagues
The toxic algae would have forced the frogs to leave the water where they lived or died. Of course with no frogs the mosquitos and flies would have flourished.
What in turn led to the 5th and 6th plagues – diseased livestock and boils. We know insects often carry diseases like malaria, so the next step is the outbreak of epidemics, causing the human population to fall ill.
Thera spewing billions of tons of volcanic ash into the atmosphere could have clashed with thunderstorms produced by the sudden change in climate conditions to produce dramatic hailstorms.
Locusts- the fall out caused the weather anomalies, which translates to ideal conditions for the locusts to revel in.
The volcanic ash would have blocked out the sunlight causing the stories of the plague of darkness.
Death of the firstborn – this has been suggested as being caused by a fungus that may have poisoned the grain supplies, of which male first born sons would have had 1st pickings and so been the first to fall victim, and let us not forget child mortality is high in these times, even in normal circumstances.
So there we have it, the plagues occurred as a consequence of the natural disaster on the Isle of Santorini.
JEWISH SLAVES IN EGYPT
We now move onto the belief in the Bible that the Jews were enslaved by their Egyptian masters. This simply is not so. The Jews were never slaves in Egypt. In fact when you look into it there is a likelihood that they were actually Hyksos. Hyksos was an Egyptian term meaning ‘rulers of a foreign land’ not a designated people. The Hyksos were mixed Semitic-Asiatic peoples probably from The Levant. Josephus actually identifies the Hyksos with the Hebrews of the Bible.
The Hyksos actually ruled Upper Egypt (1630-1523) for some time and were located in Avaris and Tanis in the Nile Delta. The bible mentions Pi-Ramesses (which is in the same area) which was the capital city at the time of Rameses ll. However lets not forget the bible has the dates wrong Rameses ll rules in 1279-1213 BCE. If the Hyksos were there then they were either the rulers of the area or free merchants and immigrants.
Could it possibly be that the Egyptians took their own land back from what they would see as the invaders of their country? Or could the Exodus simply be the evacuation of a devastated land and economy after the plagues brought by Thera?
Food for thought huh?
Well now there’s a thing, you see if we assume the writing in the Bible is correct then a serious error has occurred and it is all down to a mis-translation. You see the original Bible says they crossed the ‘Yam Suph’ which actually means ‘Sea of Reeds’ A much smaller body of water.
We also have evidence of a particular journey made by Napolean. In 1798 Napolean and a small group of soldiers on horseback were crossing the Gulf of Suez, the northern end of the Red Sea, on a mile long expanse of dry sea bottom exposed at low tide, the incoming tide rushed in and nearly killed them.
You see added to low tide, we must realise that a tsunami causes the waters to recede and this would have been an added bonus to anyone crossing. Moses would have been aware of these possible shallow crossings at low tide. No miracles here!
There is absolutely nothing to prove this Exodus ever took place – period. In fact archaeologists have been looking in the Sinai desert for a long time and have not found a single piece of evidence. Even the cleverest of Bedouins leave broken pottery, shards, burial sites in their wake. the lack of evidence to support the Jewish Exodus and Moses has caused archaeologists to abandon further study of Sinai as a fruitless pursuit.
There is not a shred of evidence in the Sinai Desert that a large number of Jews wandered there for 40 years. There have however, been traces of smaller bands that pre-date the Exodus – so we know we should have found something… if there was anything to be found.
A well known Jewish commentator and author Rabbi David Wolpe, also knows the Exodus is pure myth. He wrote an article ‘ Did the Exodus really happen?’ he mentions that other rabbis who agree it is a myth wanted him to keep quiet about the truth. The Jewish Leaders know it didn’t happen!
The cultural identity of the Jewish community hinges on the Exodus story. They take great pride in the history of their peoples freedom from slavery and their Exodus from Egypt. The celebration of the Passover is the celebration of this myth. Modern Jews perpetuate this lie. For thousands of years they have blamed the Egyptians for enslaving their ancestors. A miscarriage of justice!
There is now a movement in Israel ‘ The Society of Humanistic Judaism’ where they have given up on the myths in the bible and concentrate on humanity.
In conclusion as I have said before I find ancient mythology fascinating, and how they try to explain natural phenomenon and the world around them to their populace.
Proof yet again that so called religions are man-made myths to calm the masses and ultimately to control the ignorant. Alas religion still has its hold as even though now we do not fear natures aggression we some of us still seem to fear death and grasp onto religion as a life line , in order we may pretend that there is a heaven and a life after death. Let the fear go and give up the crutch of religion
Science proves everything in the end…………